I thought I would post this complaint I’ve posted to my new web site hosts, ipowerweb, publicly so that all could be warned. The odds are that they will “take this under advisement” and not do anything, but it is important that you, either the current customer or potential customer, should be warned.
While I am satisfied with their host services, I’ve not been totally happy with the slowness it took to get my site up and running, and some of the lack of emphasis on the fine print that screwed up the transfer. But in general, as long as I don’t have to contact customer support constantly (which was the case for the first two months), I’m happy enough. But this really gets my goat.
The following concerns the use of their provided online HTML editor.
I would consider the following a MAJOR BUG REPORT.
While traveling, I logged on to make updates to my main page and a few others on my site through vdeck’s HTML editor. The result is taking me HOURS to repair. We are still traveling, and I’m on a borrowed computer, so this is even more painful. It will be days before I can get to my own computer and files.
The HTML is in complete violation of the w3c web standards for html and xml, etc. In a two minute session to add a single paragraph to my main index page, the html editor totally wiped out months of code streamlining and optimization, and total restructuring to completely meet w3c web standards.
Required closing tags were removed. Spaces were added, after lines and between code lines. All tags were capitalized. Quotes were stripped from all selectors, including some title selectors (strings of text) which are absolutely required. While the page works, it only does so by the narrowest of margins, and some divs and classes weren’t recognized and screwed up the layout.
Once caught, I switched to text editing mode to spend hours trying to fix it, but this also has terrible problems. When highlighting code or text, it “grabs” the character before the start and/or end of the selection. This results in tags being left open when something like Word Here is selected and after deletion, it ends up just hanging there. Extra time is spent trying to set the spot with the mouse and then holding down the shift key to select, or constantly putting in an extra character to fix the over-selection.
Maybe I hold web site hosts to a higher standard, but I think they should be first in line to promote and be responsible for maintaining web standards, at least for themselves if not others. I know they aren’t when it comes to designing their own pages, with forced widths and poor layouts, but I can dream, can’t I. But screwing up someone else’s code that they have worked desperately over every character, space and line, I find that a violation.
Please take care to repair these horrid bugs.