with Lorelle and Brent VanFossen

30 Things You Can Do in 30 Seconds to Change the World

As many of you know, I have other websites and blogs I maintain. One of the posts on Lorelle on WordPress is attracting a lot of attention and I thought I’d repost it here. It is called 30 Things You Can Do to Change the World in 30 Seconds.

Part of the reason so many people blog is to help change the world. So I’m starting a new competition. The reward? Convincing people to change the world in 30 seconds or less.

The task?

I challenge all bloggers to blog about 30 things that can be done to change the world in 30 seconds. Before you freak out, that’s 30 seconds for EACH of the 30 things. 30 for 30.

There is a lot you can do to change the world in 30 seconds. In thirty seconds or less, what are things you can do to make the world a better place through your conscious decisions not automatic behaviors and habits? Here is my list.

1. Smile at a stranger.

2. Hug someone.

3. Pick up a piece of trash and throw it away.

4. Let someone else cut in front in the grocery line.

5. Let a car merge in front of you in traffic.

6. Smell a flower, don’t pick it.

7. Put the shopping cart in a shopping cart receptacle or return it to the store.

8. Pet an animal.

9. Say something nice.

10. Gargle.

11. Turn up the temperature on the air conditioner and down on the heater by 1-2 degrees (saves electricity and energy).

12. Stop smoking thirty seconds at a time.

13. Purchase rechargeable not disposable batteries.

14. Buy fruit not candy.

15. Use your car blinker.

16. Park your car farther from the store and walk.

17. Choose NOT to park in a handicapped stall even if you are handicapped – leave it for the more handicapped.

18. Take your children to the park not the store.

19. Drop $5 on the sidewalk and walk away fast and don’t look back.

20. Don’t wear perfume or cologne.

21. Wear less makeup.

22. Wave hello to your neighbors.

23. Reuse paper in your printer (print on the back).

24. Give money to pet charities.

25. Turn off the television.

26. Shut up.

27. Tell someone “I love you”.

28. Tell someone you care about them.

29. Look behind you.

30. Tell someone when they have snot hanging out of their nose, their fly unzipped, food on their face, their shirt unbuttoned, or any other thing you wish someone would have said to you.

7 Comments

• ruthalfi
    Posted November 8, 2005 at 16:34 | Permalink

hi lorelle tonigt i wase reading yor web -you can do to chenge the world in 30 second vri nice it isso lorelle wot is gargel? and way wear less perfume i love you and brent se you ruth

• Posted November 8, 2005 at 19:00 | Permalink

Ruth, my dear friend. Gargle is what you do in the morning with Listerine after you brush your teeth. You put the liquid in your mouth, tilt your head back and make bubble noises in your throat. Some people even sing when they do it.

Did you make a list of 30 things you can do in 30 seconds each to change the world?

I know that you change the world every day with your smile, by listening, and by helping others become the best they can be. You are wonderful and I love you!

• Posted December 26, 2005 at 8:33 | Permalink

Lorelle ,I just happened to click through on your WordPress blog and found CameraontheRoad

What a fascinating blog !

I love digital photography ,and some travelling

The quotes section is simply the best

30 Things You Can Do in 30 Seconds to Change the World should be a must read for every blogger

JP

• Posted December 26, 2005 at 10:07 | Permalink

Glad you enjoy our website. I have been collecting quotes since I was very young, so I’m also proud of our Quote Section, highlighting the many quotes we use in our Thoughts section in the sidebar on every page and throughout our articles.

And I’m glad the 30 Things You Can Do in 30 Seconds to Change the World has gotten so much attention. It’s the little things that will make the world a better place, not just the single big things.

Thanks!

• Posted January 2, 2006 at 6:40 | Permalink

Oh, man. I’m familiar with a lot of lefty-sounding movements but had yet to come across the ‘anti-perfume/cologne’ one. What’s up with that? Environmental concerns?

Love the idea by the way. I’m going to take the ‘throw a piece of trash away’ advice and multiply it by 6 hours or so to clean out my room today. Not exactly what you were thinking of, because it keeps to neither the spirit nor the letter of changing the world in 30s, but it’s useful anyway :)

• Posted January 2, 2006 at 8:43 | Permalink

Hey, Firas, my friend! It’s about time you cleaned out that pit you live in. ;-)

Living overseas, there is something nasty about getting into a crowded elevator or store and being surrounded by women (and men) who think that perfume is a good excuse not to bathe. Even in the US, I’ll be walking around a town and a woman will pass (or man) and the waft of stink in their wake will be overwhelming.

I just got off the airplane from Seattle a few days ago with my husband and going down an escalator, the pretty, overdressed young woman below had us gagging and the people behind us holding their nose with the stench. I pity the poor passengers on any plane she will be on.

Like anything else in this life, moderation is often a best choice but many people think perfume is meant to be poured on not spritzed, so save a nose and choose not to wear perfume or at least wear it wisely. If you can smell it after application, it’s too strong. It is meant to be smelled by people kissing your neck not across the street. ;-)

Good luck on the cleaning, Firas, and hope you find some treasures under all those years of sediment. hee hee.

• Posted March 27, 2006 at 14:48 | Permalink

Excellent Site i like it keep it up

One Trackback