I’ve seen quite a few posts on RV and camping forums asking about smoke free camping. Most of these people get laughed off the forum as the participants respond with “NO WAY” and “NOT A CHANCE”. Not true.
If you are looking for smoke free travel, lodging and smoke free camping, there are plenty of places. In my research, I found a lot of campgrounds and resorts in Europe are now totally smoke free or feature only a limited area for smoking. There is also a growing trend in the United States for smoke free or controlled smoking areas in campgrounds and resorts.
Not only that, more and more international lodging and camping facilities are also going smoke-free, including Westin Hotels.
The new year will ring in the USA’s first smoke-free major hotel chain. Westin Hotels and Resorts will announce today that it is snuffing out smoking in all rooms, restaurants, bars and public areas at its 77 U.S., Canadian and Caribbean properties starting in January. Guests may smoke only on balconies or in other outdoor areas.
The policy reflects “a demand from guests for a smoke-free hotel experience,” says Sue Brush, Westin senior vice president. “Nobody likes to walk into a smoky guest room â€” not even smokers.” Westin research shows that 92% of its guests request a non-smoking room.
An example of the growing trend in smoke free camping includes campgrounds in Utah. On the Tooele County Health Department, Utah, website, they have a list of Smoke Free Parks in the area.
Twenty seven of the 50 states in the U. S. have communities with outdoor tobacco smoke free ordinances at parks, zoos, youth sports, trails, and also beaches. Did you know that cigarette buttts are the most littered item in the world? Against popular belief, butts DO NOT decompose. It takes decades for one butt to decompose. They are no longer made by cotton, as in the past. In fact, butts are made from cellulose acetate, which is a plastic. They are highly toxic and dangerous to children and animals when they eat them.
Tooele County Health District (TCHD) is one of the ten health districts in Utah who are working to make parks in our county smoke free. TCHD’s survey results indicate many Tooele Residents would support smoke free parks.
The World Health Organization offers a world map of anti-smoking legislation around the world, giving you more information on which areas are worth traveling to that will mostly likely have no smoking facilities, lodging, restaurants, and shops.
If you are looking for smoke free camping and lodging, here is a list that will help you get started. If you know of any smoke free campgrounds or lodging, please leave the information in the comments below so I can expand this list.
- Smoke Free World – USA lodging and restaurants by state
- Smoke Free World – Africa & Middle East
- Smoke Free World – Central America
- Smoke Free World – South America
- Smoke Free World – Caribbean
- Smoke Free World – North America
- Smoke Free World – Canada
- Smoke Free World – United States Of Mexico
- Smoke Free World – Asia-Pacific
- Smoke Free World – Europe
- Smoke Free Hotels – USA and International List
- Smoke Free Housing Consultants – Apartments and Condos
- Smoke Free Restaurants – USA and International List
- ASH – Smoke Free Travel Page
- Pacific Net – SAFE – Smoke Free Air for Everyone – Lists and Resources
- Smoke Free Travel Resources from No-Smoke.org
- No-smoke.org – Smoke Free International Bars and Restaurants
- World Health Organization – Legislation Around the World Map
- Mt. Desert Narrows Camping Resort – Maine, USA
- Smoke Free Lodging for Douglas County, Minnesota (PDF)
- Holiday World and Splashin’ Safari in Santa Claus, Indiana – Smoke Free Environment
- Lake Isabella RV-Mobile Home Rentals and Campground, Sequoia National Forest, California – Smoke Free Environment
- Isanti, Minnesota, Country Camping Tent & RV Park on the Rum River – (763) 444-9626
- Association for Nonsmokers-Minnesota – Smoke Free Dining and Lodging in Minnesota
- Rampart Creek Campground, Banff, Canada – Smoke Free Campground Loop
- Camp Blue Diamond, near Huntingdon, Pennsylvania – Smoke Free Campground
- Alpine Trail Ridge Inn, Estes Park, Colorado – Smoke Free Lodging
- Black Canyon Inn, Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado – Smoke Free
- Whispering Pines Cottages on the River, Big Thompson River, near Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado – Smoke Free Lodging
- Where to Stay in Sitka, Alaska, includes many non-smoking and smoke free facilities
Let me clarify, a smoke free campground or lodging must provide a protected and enforced no smoking area in and around the camping or lodging areas. Many campgrounds and resorts offer cabins with no smoking permitted inside, but encourages smokers to smoke outside. If this applies, please make a note of it as non-smokers can be impacted by their neighbors hanging around outside their cabins smoking. If the campground is totally smoke free, or if they offer a no smoking section, please let me know. Thanks.