SCORE offers a great article on 10 Ways To Make Your Web Site Work Harder For You. It is must read for website administrators and owners. I especially love the tip “Focus the Home Page and Product Pages on Your Customers’ Interests, Not Yours”. That’s a really good reminder.
- Make Sure Your Site Looks Professional
- Don’t Use the Name of Your Company as the Web Page Title – Unless it is descriptive
- Don’t Let Your Home Page Be a Flash Presentation
- Focus the Home Page and Product Pages on Your Customers’ Interests, Not Yours
- Avoid a Cluttered Look
- Minimize Graphic Sizes to Make Sure Your Pages Load Quickly
- Be Sure You’ve Included Important Supporting Information
- Be Sure It’s Easy to Place an Order
- Be Sure Your Contact Information is Easy to Find
- Share Links With Other Businesses in Your Community
While these seem simple, they are core tips to use when you are considering a web presence. Keep it simple, keep it clean, and keep it connected to the rest of the world, putting the needs of the reader first.